Know the rules and regulations

There is a vast range of compliance obligations and safety regulations that apply to the agribusiness industry.  While it is impossible to list them all, the Agri Collective group represents a diverse group and the intention is to provide as many handy links here for convenience as possible.

Food business requirements

All G21 and Victorian councils administer the requirements of the Food Act 1984, which requires all food business that sell food to be registered with their local council.  Farmers markets and roadside trading have different requirements at different councils, however the Victorian Government provides a good guiding document as a starting point.

Surf Coast Shire provides general information about running a food business and the relevant requirements. Visit the Surf Coast Shire website for more information.

Colac Otway Shire, Golden Plains Shire and the Borough of Queenscliff also provide useful information about environmental health and food safety and food businesses at

Colac Otway Food Safety

Colac Otway Food Businesses

Golden Plains Food Safety

Queenscliffe Food Safety

Colac Otway Shire requires a permit for roadside trading or street stalls, which can be found at Colac Otway Local Laws Compliance Forms

Further information on running a food business can be found at the Department of Health and Human Services’ Food Safety website Vic Gov – Starting a food business

Product labelling

The national policy for product labelling can be found at


The relevant authority for biosecurity requirements is Agriculture Victoria

General permits

Activities that require permits are typically handled by the Local Laws department at each local council.  The websites for the five councils in the G21 region can be found at

Geelong Australia Website

Surfcoast Vic Website

Colac Otway Website

Golden Plains Website

Queenscliffe Website

The Colac Otway Shire has a comprehensive list on its website of relevant permits from Local Laws that provides a good starting point for those in the agribusiness industry. View the Permit List.